What you need:
- Tapered leader(s)
- Knotable bite wire
- Barrel swivel(s)
- Eagle Claw or other store brand steel leaders 6’
For Throwing Big Heavy Flies
- Cut leader down to about 5 feet and tie a perfection loop at the tag end.
- Take your store bought leader out. These usually come with some type of hardware, usually a clip to attach lures at one end, and on the other a heavy barrel swivel. You want to keep the clip that is at one of the ends. Cut the swivel and any other hardware off that end of the leader, leaving a welded loop free.
- Now attach the steel leader you have fashioned to your leader using a loop to loop connection (just like how you attach any leader to your fly line)
- Now you can swap out flies easily and have a leader capable of withstanding any sort of Esox attack!