The Nail Knot is one of the strongest knots used in fly fishing. Mainly used when joining the fly line to backing, or attaching a leader to your fly line. Generally, it is a great knot for attaching any 2 lines with different diameters. The Knot Assist Tool is designed to make this process much smoother and it clips easily to any fishing vest or pack, so you’ll always be ready! Check out the video below where we will walk you through how to use the Knot Assist Tool step-by-step.
- Hold the Knot Assist Tool in the palm of your hand. Place the thinner diameter line (or backing if that is what you are attaching to the fly line) between the guides, on top of the pad and through the tips. Have about 6 inches beyond the tip of the tool and hold it in place with the thumb of the hand the tool is in.
- Make 4-5 snug wraps around the tips of the tool working back toward your thumb.
- Feed the tag end of the line under the coils just made and back out the tip of the tool.
- While holding the coils tight on the tool with your thumb, feed the end of the fly line into the tip of the tool under the coils and out about a 1/2 in. past the coils.
- Gently hold everything in place and give a short tug on the tag end of the leader or backing. This causes the knot to slide off the tool and onto the fly line. Make any necessary adjustments needed and tighten the knot. Trim the tags left and you are ready to rock and roll!